Sexual wellness can be defined as a blend of physical state, mental state, and social well-being that has a connection with sexuality. Growing awareness regarding sexual wellness inspires a positive and respectful approach involving sexuality and sexual relationships. This also ensures that the couple involved in it goes for a safe and pleasurable experience without having any kind of coercion, poor discrimination and violence.
Sexual health-related issues are wide-ranging and encompass sexual orientation and gender identity, sexual expression, relationships, and pleasure. They also include negative consequences or conditions such as:
- infections with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and reproductive tract infections (RTIs) and their adverse outcomes (such as cancer and infertility);
- unintended pregnancy and abortion;
- sexual dysfunction;
- sexual violence; and
- harmful practices (such as female genital mutilation, FGM).
Therapies for Anxiety
Types of therapy that are often used to treat anxiety include:
- Biofeedback: This type of therapy uses bodily awareness to treat anxiety. It can help people understand how they react to anxiety physically.
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT): MBCT brings mindfulness practices to cognitive behavioral therapy. It has been shown to reduce anxiety by helping people increase their self-awareness in therapy.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT): This type of therapy is often used for “difficult to treat” conditions. It may help people with severe anxiety stabilize, explore their anxiety, improve their quality of life, and maintain a sense of well-being.
- Psychodynamic therapy: Psychodynamic therapy can help people with anxiety by bringing their attention to their own thought patterns and habits. It may also encourage delving into the subconscious to get to the root cause of the anxiety.
- Eye movement desensitization resolution (EMDR): EMDR uses eye movement techniques to help people access difficult memories and can be helpful in treating anxiety.
- Support groups
- Stress Management techniques